Sep 12, 2011

Measurements, and not the sexy kind.

Quick pregnancy update after this mornings prenatal appointment.

So this is the third prenatal appointment in a row that has shown my uterus to be measuring larger than normal for how far along I am.  The midwife has reassured me that she does not feel any extra liquid so they are ruling out extra amniotic fluid.  She also does not think the baby is on the large size.  

..Instead she thinks the reason for the measurements is a combination of the fact that the baby is still not in a head down position (She is sitting sideways with her feet down) and that my torso is so short.  Basically this is the same thing she told me at my last appointment as well.  

...So now what? She gave me the option of ordering an ultrasound now or to wait for two more weeks measure again and see if the results are the same and then order the ultrasound to figure out what is going on. I'm secretly hoping that my due date is off and that I'm really two or three weeks further along than we think lol. That would be awesome hehe.  I chose the wait two weeks and re measure option.  

In the meantime I need to figure out a way to get this baby head down so that if I'm still measuring large even with her in the correct position we know its either just my size or an incorrect due date.  She suggests inverting myself (safely) lol... maybe it's time to clean six months of dust off 'the pole' lol... Hope I can still get into my inverted yoga positions.  Sigh.

*For anyone not familiar with uterus measurements (cuz I sure as hell wasn't!), here's a lil crash course based on what I have been able to gather :)  Ok so the uterus is the thing inside a female that expands to house the fetus, amniotic fluid, and placenta, it grows something like 1000x its normal size during pregnancy and then shrinks back down in the months after giving birth (why women still look pregnant even after delivering).  They measure this externally from where they feel the top of your uterus (right now on me that is basically right under my breasts) to the top of your pubic bone.  This measurement correlates to how many weeks into pregnancy you are (only accurate after 20 weeks of pregnancy) if this number is off either - or + by 1 or 2 cm its considered to be ok and still in the normal range but they will keep an eye on things (that's how specific these measurements are) if you have a + or - of 3 cm or more they usually order an ultrasound to see what is going on or to adjust your due date.   ...So that's your crash course into the 'sexy' art of uterus measurement.

No comments:

Post a Comment